so i am watching Narnia and i realize that to be in Narnia right now i can just go outside in the snow lol.
it feels like spring here and it is January?? oh well we will go back to winter soon.
My Neighbor Totoro となりのトトロ (Tonari no Totoro) directed by Hayao Miyazaki
THEORY: TOTORO = DEATH
One theory claims that Totoro is actually the messenger of Death, and whoever sees him will soon die.
Given this theory:
1. The hospital that the two sisters visit is actually a hospital for the terminally-ill patients (i.e. their mother).
2. The slipper in the pond that the villagers find later on in the movie, which is in fact May’s, implies that May has drowned in the pond. However, rather than admit that the slipper belongs to Mei and consequently admit that Mei is dead, Satsuki lies. Also to be noted is that ever since this scene, the sisters appear to have no shadow.
3. When Satsuki pleads with Totoro and the cat-bus to take her to where Mei is, while on the cat-bust, she says, “Nobody can see us…” This scene is actually Satsuki leading herself to the land of the dead (via the cat-bus).
4. When the mother says, “I think I feel May and Satsuki smiling there in that tree…,” it is said that the two sisters were dead at that point. Otherwise, why don’t the sisters go and visit their mother if they’re already there? And what is the point of the corn? Supposedly, the Japanese pronunciation of “corn” is similar to “kill child.”
5. The final scene that appears to be a happy epilogue is actually a prologue of events that occurred before the major events within the movie.
Maybe this theory is a bunch of bull but this last bit is kind of eerie. Supposedly, the movie was set place in a certain part of Japan where there was a case of two murdered sister back in the 60s. The murders took placed on May 1st – the sister’s names are Satsuki (“May” in Japanese) and Mei (Pronunciation similar to “May” in English). As the story goes, the younger sister went missing and the older sister went in search for her. However, the next day the younger sister’s body was found in the forest (stabbed to death) and the older sister was found in a state of shock – she kept rambling ambiguous words about a “cat monster,” “great big raccoon monster,” etc. to the police. The sisters were also from a single-parent family; their mother had died of illness.
Click on photo for original IMDb board discussion.
Yeah, because the first thing I think when I meet somebody is “Holy shit, this bitch is gonna bite me.”
i am going to see the meter shower tonight at 2:30am!! it is going to be beautiful.